Apr 17, 2009

Mimi-isms


As promised, I am back with a few Mimi-isms ad a picture of Mimi with my daughter. I took this pic with my cell phone, because I am camera-less for now (but hopefully not much longer) so forgive the poor quality of this picture.

And as a side note, I didn't realize how grown-up my ten year old daughter was starting to look until I saw this photo! Mimi told me all day how pretty Morgan is, and now I think maybe I'm seeing what Mimi was seeing. She is beautiful.


And so is Mimi! Look at her! She's 85 years young, and doesn't take crap from anyone. Not the doctors, the physical therapist, or even her family members. In fact she informed me today that the only reason I get away with bossing her around is because I do it with a smile.

So here are a few things I learned from Mimi during the three weeks I cared for her:

1. Don't tell your husband everything. If you do, he'll start to thinking he already knows it all, and he'll stop listening when you talk to him.

2. Always support your husband. Don't ever talk bad about him to another person. Think what you want, but show the world that your love for him is true. Always provide a united front, to the kids, your parents and his, and to the whole world in general.

3. You gotta feed him. Physically, spiritually, emotionally. And don't forget the ego. It needs a little feeding now and then.

4. Keep your hands busy. Learn a craft, like crocheting or knitting, cross-stitch etc. It keeps the body busy, the mind free, and provides great therapy during times of recuperation or stress.

___________________________________________________________________

Here are a few things I learned ABOUT Mimi:

She was one of only two children, in a time when many families were quite large.

Her mother never taught her to cook.

She and her sister are still close to this day.

She had 3 children, 2 of which are still living. One died several years ago from diabetes.

She HATES to be bossed.

She doesn't like showers. She wants to take a bath, but has to shower because of her hip replacement 2 yrs ago.

She has a great sense of humor, and a great smile.

She loves potato soup and biscuits and gravy.

She went to school to be an English teacher, because her daddy wanted her too.

_________________________________________________________

Today was my last "official" day on the job. I may get to take care of her again in the future, but for now, her daughter wants to see how she does on her own. I disagree with this, not because I wanted the money or the job, but I am afraid Mimi will decline in health without constant companionship and supervision. Mimi lives with her daughter and son-in-law, but they are busy people, who seem not quite ready to put their own lives aside to care for her. I'm trying not to be judgmental, and I'm calling as I see it.

I gave Mimi the afghan I've been crocheting during my 3 weeks with her. She all but cried. She loved it. I made her promise to actually use it, instead of saving it for "good." I hope she will get some use and enjoyment from it.

I will miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment